Winona Health traces its history to 1894, when local citizens and physicians raised $4,500 to remodel the former Langley Home into the 18-bed Winona General Hospital. Local citizenry continued to support the expansion of the community’s healthcare services over the years, including larger hospital facilities and a training school for nurses. In 1962, Winona General Hospital patients were moved into the new Community Memorial Hospital, at its present location on 855 Mankato Avenue, Winona. Several additions have been added over the years, including a new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.
In 1966, patients needing convalescent and rehabilitative care moved into a facility added to the hospital; it has since been renovated and now houses Lake Winona Manor, a long-term care skilled nursing facility. Adith Miller Manor, an assisted living facility for those needing memory care, was added in 1992, with Roger Metz Manor built in 1997. Watkins Manor, a former nursing home now remodeled into an assisted living community for independent seniors, joined Winona Health in 1999.
Winona Health was formed as an “umbrella” nonprofit organization for the growing healthcare services provided to the region. It continues to be operated by a local volunteer Board of Directors. The Winona Health Foundation, whose mission is to financially support the work of the Winona Health nonprofit organization, was formed in 1996. It, too, is served by a local volunteer board.