The Ben & Adith Miller Patient Care Fund was established by Benjamin A. Miller, a former Winona-area businessman and philanthropist, in honor of his wife, Adith. Miller’s goal was to establish a fund to help individuals and families in need pay for medical care at Winona Health.
Since its inception in 1986, the Patient Care Fund has helped 2,713 individuals pay more than $6.5 million in medical costs. Interestingly, the profile of the people it helped then remains the same today:
- a single mother with two dependent children
- an 80-year-old retired woman living on social security
- a family of five with annual income in excess of qualifying for state or federal assistance
- a seventeen-year old requiring counseling for chemical dependency
- a widower with dependent children