Winona Health traces its history to 1894, when local citizens and physicians raised $4,500 to remodel the former Langley Home into the 18-bed Winona General Hospital. Local citizenry continued to support the expansion of the community’s healthcare services over the years, including larger hospital facilities and a training school for nurses. In 1962, Winona General Hospital patients were moved into the new Community Memorial Hospital, at its present location on 855 Mankato Avenue, Winona. Several additions have been added over the years, including a new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.
In 1966, patients needing convalescent and rehabilitative care moved into a facility added to the hospital; it has since been renovated and now houses Lake Winona Manor, a long-term care skilled nursing facility. Adith Miller Manor, an assisted living facility for those needing memory care, was added in 1992, with Roger Metz Manor built in 1997. Watkins Manor, a former nursing home now remodeled into an assisted living community for independent seniors, joined Winona Health in 1999.
Winona Health was formed as an “umbrella” nonprofit organization for the growing healthcare services provided to the region. It continues to be operated by a local volunteer Board of Directors. The Winona Health Foundation, whose mission is to financially support the work of the Winona Health nonprofit organization, was formed in 1996. It, too, is served by a local volunteer board.
February 28 – Community members raise funds to transform Langley Home into Winona General Hospital.
Winona General Hospital Training School for Nurses was founded.
August 23 – The cornerstone for the new hospital building was laid. Community members raised $35,000 to build and equip the new building. (Above: Winona General Hospital in 1898.)
Thanks to community leaders and members, a new nurses’ home was built, allowing the hospital to accommodate more patients.
A three-story wing was added to the hospital after community members donated funds to help build it.
Funds were raised again allowing another three stories to be added, bringing the capacity of the hospital to 130 patients. (Above: Winona General Hospital in 1925.)
A community-wide campaign began to raise the funds for the construction of a new hospital, Community Memorial Hospital. (Above: Winona General Hospital in 1959.)
August 11 – Patients moved from Winona General Hospital to Community Memorial Hospital.
June – Construction began on the 104-bed Convalescent and Rehabilitation Unit.
February – Patients moved into the new C&R addition. Since then, the unit has been renovated and is now Lake Winona Manor, a nursing home.
June – The new Medical Office Building opened.
The Emergency Room/Intensive Care addition was started.
Adith Miller Manor was built, an assisted living facility for those needing memory care.
The Winona Health Foundation was formed to financially support the work of Winona Health.
Roger Metz Manor was built, an assisted living facility for those needing memory care.
Watkins Manor was renovated and opened as an assisted living facility for independent seniors. (Above: Aerial view of the main Winona Health campus in 2002.)
As part of a $32 million building project, the Helipad is relocated from the ground to the roof of the Hospital. The building project also included a new clinic/medical office building, outpatient diagnostic center and surgical suites.
Winona Health parking ramp construction completed. Emergency Department entrance renovated.
Winona Health completes $32 million building project. Community dedication celebration and open house held May 21. Winona Clinic moves to the Winona Health campus.
Winona Health purchases former Winona Clinic building located at 420 E. Sarnia Street. Urgent Care Clinic and Physical Therapy Department moves from the main campus to Sarnia Square location.
Rushford Clinic is destroyed in flood and reopens in temporary location.
Winona Health and Winona Clinic merger becomes official.
Family Medicine of Winona joins Winona Health.
Winona Community Health Clinic, a free clinic for preventive care for uninsured first opens in the Parkview Office Building on the Winona Health campus.
Winona Clinic Pharmacy officially joins Winona Health.
Podiatry Services available on WH campus. Two local podiatrists close their independent practices and join Winona Health.