Winona Health traces its history to 1894, when local citizens and physicians raised $4,500 to remodel the former Langley Home into the 18-bed Winona General Hospital. Local citizenry continued to support the expansion of the community’s healthcare services over the years, including a larger hospital and a training school for nurses.
In 1962, Winona General Hospital patients were moved into the new Community Memorial Hospital at its present location: 855 Mankato Avenue, Winona. Several additions have been added over the years, including a new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.
In 1966, patients needing convalescent and rehabilitative care moved into a building added to the hospital; it has since been renovated and now houses Lake Winona Manor, a long-term care skilled nursing home. Adith Miller Manor, an assisted living residence for those needing memory care, was added in 1992, with Roger Metz Manor built in 1997. Watkins Manor, a former nursing home now remodeled into an assisted living community for independent seniors, joined Winona Health in 1999.
Winona Health was formed as an “umbrella” nonprofit organization for the growing healthcare services provided to the region. It continues to be operated by a local volunteer Board of Directors. The Winona Health Foundation, whose mission is to financially support the work of the Winona Health nonprofit organization, was formed in 1996.
Winona Community Health Clinic opened to provide early prevention screenings and education to help individuals avoid more significant health risks and problems. Services were available to those who were uninsured who did not have the financial means to pay for healthcare services. This service was later discontinued after health insurance became more accessible to all.
1894: Community members raised funds to transform Langley Home into Winona General Hospital. The new hospital, which was situated on Sanborn and Winona Streets, was equipped to care for 18 patients. In the first full year of operation, 225 patients received care.
1894: Auxiliary was founded in 1894 with 50 members.
1895: Winona General Hospital Training School for Nurses was founded.
1898: Community members raised $35,000 to build and equip a new building. The site, on Wabasha Street, between Ewing and Lincoln Streets was secured, and the cornerstone for the new hospital building was laid.
1909: Thanks to community leaders and members, a new nurses’ home was built, allowing the hospital to accommodate more patients.
1919: A three-story wing was added to the hospital after community members donated funds to help build it.
1926: Community members again raised funds allowing another three stories to be added to the building, bringing the capacity of the hospital to 130 patients.
1959: A community-wide fundraising campaign began for the construction of a new hospital, Community Memorial Hospital.
1962: The new hospital was completed and patients moved from Winona General Hospital to Community Memorial Hospital at 855 Mankato Avenue.
1964: Construction began on the 104-bed Convalescent and Rehabilitation (C & R) Unit, adjacent to the hospital.
1966: Patients moved into the new C & R addition. Since then, the unit has been renovated and is now a nursing home: Lake Winona Manor.
1977: The new Medical Office Building opened, now called the Parkview Office Building.
1979: Construction began on an Emergency Room and Intensive Care Unit addition.
1986: Parkview Pharmacy opened on June 18 in the Parkview Office Building with the area’s first drive-up window.
1992: Adith Miller Manor, an assisted living residence for those needing memory care, was built.
1996: The Winona Health Foundation was formed to financially support Winona Health’s mission.
1997: Roger Metz Manor, a second assisted living residence for those needing memory care, was built.
1999: Watkins Manor/Senior Living at Watkins, formerly a nursing home, joined Winona Health.
2001: Winona Health was a pioneer in developing a community-wide electronic Medical record (EMR).
2002: Watkins Manor at 175 E. Wabasha Street, formerly a nursing home, was renovated and opened as an assisted living residence for independent seniors.
2003: Winona Health begins a hospitalist program to better serve patients and increase access to physicians.
2004: As part of a $32 million building project, the Helipad is relocated from the ground to the Hospital roof. The building project also included a new clinic, outpatient diagnostic center and surgical suites.
2005: Construction on the new parking ramp was completed, and the Emergency Department entrance was renovated.
2006: The $32 million building project is completed and a community dedication celebration and open house was held in May. Winona Clinic moves to the Winona Health campus.
2007: Winona Health purchased the former Winona Clinic building at 420 E. Sarnia. The Urgent Care Clinic and Physical Therapy Department moved from the main campus to the newly renamed Sarnia Square location.
2007: Rushford Clinic was destroyed in a flood and reopened in a temporary location to continue serving the Rushford community.
2008: Winona Health and Winona Clinic merged.
2009: Family Medicine of Winona merged with Winona Health and remained in the Parkview Office Building.
2009: Rushford Clinic moved to 109 West Jessie Street.
2010: Winona Clinic Pharmacy joined Winona Health.
2010: Winona Community Health Clinic opened to provide early prevention screenings and education to help individuals avoid more significant health risks and problems. Services were available to those who were uninsured who did not have the financial means to pay for healthcare services. This service was later discontinued after health insurance became more accessible to all.
2011: Live Well Winona, a community health hub, was founded.
2012: Telemedicine capabilities were added in rural clinics, Urgent Care, select area schools, and assisted living and long-term care residences to connect patients and healthcare providers making healthcare more convenient and accessible.
2012: Hospital transitioned to all private patient rooms and winning photos from HealingScapes photo competition were added to each room.
2013: Primary care implemented a new Care Team model, a collaborative approach designed to increase access to high-quality care.
2013: Winona Health’s Community Care Network was developed to improve health and quality of life, prevent hospitalization and emergency visits and avoid unnecessary healthcare costs.
2014: Family Medicine staff moved from the Parkview Office Building to the Winona Health Clinic and integrated with Family Practice.
2015: Conservative Management Clinic opened to help individuals with pain medication management.
2015: Winona Health began offering telepsychiatry services to expand access to mental health expertise.
2015: The Spa at Winona Health opened in the Parkview Office Building.
2016: Care Coordination services became available to community members who have complex health needs or difficulty managing chronic conditions.
2016: The Winona Health Auxiliary unveiled a new name and new look on February 29. The organization’s official name changed to the Winona Health Volunteers. Their pink smocks were retired and replaced with a blue vest.
2017: Lake Winona Manor transitioned to all private rooms.
2018: Urgent Care Clinic moved from Sarnia Square to the first floor of the clinic on the Winona Health campus.
2018: Winona Health participated in the groundbreaking for the Main Square Development project at 4th and Main streets, in which it will provide retail-based services.
2018: Parkview Pharmacy and Winona Clinic Pharmacy were consolidated into the Winona Clinic Pharmacy location, and a new drive-up window was added to the east side of the building. The new drive-up window opened October.
2018: The Winona Family YMCA broke ground on the future site of the new YMCA on the Winona Health campus. The new building, which is being built in collaboration with Winona Health, will house Winona Health Rehabilitation Services including physical, occupational, speech and massage therapy.
2018: Winona Home Medical, Winona Health’s expanded home medical equipment and supplies store, opened in November at 930 Parks Avenue.