Individuals often have questions about what is and isn’t covered during an annual physical — sometimes referred to as a well visit for preventive healthcare services. Our goal is to ensure you understand which services are considered preventive services. Winona Health is required to “code” services appropriately in order to avoid insurance fraud. This is a quick guide to help you understand preventive services.
Preventive/Well Visit Services Include:
- Conducting an exam based on age and gender
- Providing advice on staying healthy and healthy living choices
- Discussing previously identified risk factors (example: smoking)
- Screening lab test to see if you are at risk due to age, gender or lifestyle
- Keeping your immunizations up to date based on your age and gender
- Discussing new problems/concerns during your preventive/well visit that require no lab tests, no procedures and no follow up or treatment plan
Not Considered Preventive Services — Additional Charge Required:
- Any new health problems that require lab work, x-rays or other follow up
- New problems that require prescription medication
- Chronic problems where the doctor needs to manage your condition and/or adjust medications
If you are seen at Winona Health for a preventive care/well visit appointment and you’d like to discuss issues not covered under preventive services, you may address these issues with your provider during your visit, but additional charges may apply.
If you prefer to limit your visit to preventive care services, we encourage you to schedule a separate appointment to talk in depth about new or changing problems. If you have questions regarding billing for preventive/well visit services, please call 507.457.4579 and select option 5.