by Wen-Yu Vicky Haines, MD, FACS, General Surgeon
March is National Colon Cancer Awareness Month. Winona Health is lit up in blue to remind us that colon cancer is very preventable!
As a Winona Health General Surgeon, I see the life-saving benefit of colon cancer screening.
Some simple facts:
- Colon cancer is the second most deadly cancer in the US.
- 24 deaths due to colon cancer per 10,000 people in 1992.
- 14 deaths due to colon cancer per 10,000 people in 2015.
- The dramatic decrease of colon cancer cases and related deaths is due to screening.
- Multiple ways of screening for colon cancer. Talk to your doctor about the best way for you.
A colonoscopy gets rid of precancerous polyps, so this screening really does save lives. Discuss this with your doctor—you can be sure we’ll take care of you every step of the way.
Wen-Yu Vicky Haines