If you’ve never had diabetes education, topics include:
- What diabetes is
- How diabetes is treated or managed
- Basic nutrition information
- Blood sugars targets that are right for you and why
- How to prevent complications from high or low blood sugar
- How diabetes changes over time
- How to take diabetes medication safely
Beyond basic diabetes education, we also see people with diabetes who:
- Might need help controlling blood sugars
- Need a refresher of diabetes management skills
- Want to discuss treatment options
Another service is also recommended for all patients with diabetes. That service is Medical Nutrition Therapy, or MNT. MNT is nutrition guidance that is much more individualized and in-depth than the nutrition education provided in diabetes education. A doctor, and in some cases, a nurse practitioner can order MNT for you.
Diabetes education at Winona Health is usually provided by a dietitian and a nurse. Most people see both educators, but you might see one or the other, depending on your needs. The dietitian and the nurse are Certified Diabetes Educators, which means they have been nationally recognized for expertise in Diabetes Self-Management Education.
Most insurance companies cover Diabetes Self-Management Training (or Education) when it is ordered by the provider you see for diabetes. Check with your insurance company to see if you are eligible.
Medicare recipients are covered for diabetes education received through this accredited program. Medicare coverage provides:
- 10 hours of initial diabetes education to individuals who have not previously received diabetes education with Medicare insurance
- Two hours of follow-up diabetes education each year
Soon after your healthcare provider recommends diabetes education for you, you will receive a call to set up an appointment. Diabetes education is provided by appointment at Winona Health, on the second floor of the clinic.
Diabetes and Nutrition Education staff members are also involved in community activities. Events include:
- Health and wellness fairs
- Community organizations
- Professional organizations
- Way to Wellness expo
For more information or to make an appointment:
Winona Health, Clinic 2nd floor
859 Mankato Avenue
Winona, MN 55987
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday